Warsaw is full of interesting places. Here you will find these most recommended and worth visiting.
The only original building in Warsaw which has remained unchanged for nearly 400 years! The building serving as a storage place for arms was built by order of king Władysław IV in 1643 and rebuilt many times afterwards.
A conversation from the year 1949: Stalin: We can build an underground line, a housing estate or a palace for you, just like the one in Moscow. What do you want? Bierut (Polish President): We can build the estate by ourselves, we don’t need the underground. We want the palace.
This once impressive building was torn down during the World War II.
Located between the lanes of Aleja Solidarności, the palace was built in 1729. Over the centuries it would change its owners. It belonged to the Przebendowski, Kossowski, Radziłłowski and other aristocratic families. By the end of the 18th c. it belonged to the Spanish diplomat, count d’Aranda, who organized many parties and drinking bouts that would sometimes last a few days.
This Warsaw market square is over 600 years old, it was demarcated in 1408. It is more than double the size of the Old Town Market Square. In the Middle Ages it was the central point of the New Town, which was then independent of Warsaw.
It is one of the oldest churches in Warsaw, built in 1411 in the Masovian gothic style. Before Poland was christened it was the place of the pagan cult. The church’s yard gives a picturesque view over the wild, overgrown bank of the Vistula River.
It was built in the 16th c. as part of the fortification. It is interesting to note that due to the rapid development of fire-arms it was out of date at the moment of its construction and never served any major defensive purpose.
The heart of the Old Town. It was the central and most important point of the city up to the 18th century. This is where the life of the capital concentrated, where important historic and political events as well as public executions took place.
The oldest church in Warsaw, built in 1390. It is an important place in the Polish culture and history.
It was built between 1407-1410, and frequently reconstructed after that. It was the seat of Polish kings from the 16th c. on. It retains a baroque-classicistic style and has a 60-metre-high clock tower. Over the centuries it was burned and plundered on several occasions: by Swedes in the 17th c., Russians in the 19th c. and Germans during WWII.
Built in 1454, it is one of Warsaw’s most beautiful churches.
Built in the 1650s, it was the Italian-style palace in Warsaw, with a garden reaching as far as the Vistula River. in the 18th c. it housed a theatre established by the last Polish king, Stanislaus August.
It is the largest public university in Poland (46,000 students) and also one of the best ones – Warsaw University and the Jagiellonian University in Cracow have been competing for the label of the country’s best university for years.
It is also known as “Dom Partii”, which means “The Party’s House”, as it was the seat of the Central Committee of the Polish United Workers’ Party since it was opened in 1952 until 1989.
A block of buildings of the Polish Parliament built between 1925-28.
No upcoming events